In Memory of Cassandra

Women be wise, keep your mouth shut, don't advertise your man Don't sit around gossiping, explaining what your good man really can do Some women nowadays, Lord they ain't no good They will laugh in your face, Then try to steal your man from you Women be wise, keep your mouth shut, don't advertise your man Don't be no fool

Sunday, February 20, 2005

I AM MY FATHER'S DAUGHTER.

http://www.dailytargum.com/news/2005/02/16/PageOne/Students.Split.On.Grease.Truck.Names-865457.shtml

http://www.dailytargum.com/news/2005/02/14/Opinions/Censored.Grease.Trucks-862608.shtml?page=2

http://feministing.com/


Ok so after reading some articles, seeing it myself, and getting a petition through an IM, I've decided to do something. Sure it's not much, but perhaps my father's influecne has finally amounted to something in me. I'm all for the freedom of the individual, but in the same breath I am for the responsibility of the individual, and when those two aspects don't coincide, something must be done. Also, there are fights to fight, and fights not to fight. This is not today's fight. These kids speak of traditions being lost, dear traditions that are above offense... but these kids aren't worried about traditions. They just don't want to lose their cuss words. Well children, today is not the day to fight mom and dad because you're sister is old enough and confidant enough to object to you naming your fish "stinky sister". So I sent the president of rutgers an email today. Check out the links above for the speedy story catch up. (hehe, that wasnt an intentional pun.. but hey why not) (if u get that, i love you) -- so yeah. enjoy.

President McCormick,

There is fear at Rutgers. I have been approached with a petition which opposes the censorship of Grease Truck sandwich names. I disagree with this petition because I feel that as a member of the Rutgers community I am responsible for the well-being of the rest of the community.

Normally I am the type of person to sign any sort of petition because I believe in active participation on the part of citizens in any sort of government, however this letter is a letter of support, and a challenge to be more than just a politically correct force in the community, but a community building force. Rutgers College is known to greatly lack any sort of semblance of community, and I see that as a big problem.

I understand that people will appeal to you that there is a sense of tradition being betrayed by the censorship of these sandwich names. However to this I would argue that wherever the tradition of a community is hateful and fearful, there is a need to dissolve such traditions. I also understand that some of the words aren't specifically offensive to any particular group, but are still "bad words". To this I confess that some of the words chosen as controversial I would have let slide, however I recognize that it is a very thin line between offensive language and college common-speak.

With all of the acts of violence and hate that have terrified and raped our community in the past year and a half, I see no reason to delay acts that will secure some sort of moral responsibility and security in this community. Truthfully, I think in most situations censorship is wrong, however I refuse to tolerate any instance of racism, sexism, or homophobia, and so I stand with you behind your decision and with the people of this community whom have urged it's action.

-Genevieve Purcell '07

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home